Thursday, January 26, 2012

Banh Mi Style Salad

CSA DAY!

We received loads of goodies: Apples, Meyer Lemon (My fav!), Satsuma Mandarins, Kale, Leeks, Broccoli, Radishes, Spinach, Onions, and a head of lettuce.  As I put away my booty of veggies, I took note we now had 5 heads of lettuce in our fridge. We have a homemade ceasar salad on the menu for the week, but I was going to have to use up this lettuce without burning out on the standard salad. It worked out well that when lunch time came I was hankering a Banh Mi Sandwich. How about a healthy salad instead?


Dressing:
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce)
  • 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 tbsp white sugar
  • 1/3 cup cold water

Add to sealable container (mason jar), cover and shake.

Pickled Veg:

  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup rice vinegar
  • pinch of kosher salt
To this add 1 cup juileened carrots, sliced radish and cucumbers. Refrigerate at least an hour before serving or prep the night before.

Salad:
Chop one head of lettuce
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup mint, chopped
1/4 jalapeno, sliced thinly

1/2 cup toasted almonds (optional, you can use croutons instead)

Drain the pickling juice from the veggies and toss together. If you like a little protein on your salad this marinade recipe by Food Woolf looked great.
Enjoy, I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment